Wednesday, January 14, 2009

It pays the bills...

I have an interesting job in a field I like. I am also pretty good at what I do. But sometimes, it just sucks my will to live. Then on top of that I have a 50 mile commute. Each way. To say it is a struggle to find a work/life balance is an understatement.

Right now it isn't too bad because it's the beginning of the year and it's pretty slow around the office. All of January I should reliably be home by 7. Unless I want to exercise. And since I have some extra holiday pounds making my pants pretty tight, I think it would be a good idea.

So there is the dilemma. Do I want to push my come home time back to 8? Do I want to wake up an hour earlier to either go work out or go to work earlier? What about when work picks up again?

Unfortunately my employer doesn't want to provide onsight exercise options (which they have at the corporate office) and my YMCA membership doesn't include the Y close to my office (it's in a different county). I hate waking up early. I hate getting home when it's dark. I hate having no clothes that fit right. I just can't figure out what I hate the most.

I think as long as it's still winter and my lunch time yarn buddy is in Arizona, I will take a short lunch so I can leave early and then go exercise. I think that is a decent balance for now. I just wish the days would get longer already.

No comments: