Monday, October 27, 2008

Day 8

Today we're starting to really formalize our routines. The program recommends that we use a 3 ring binder to do this. This is because for most families, there is at least 1 3 ring binder just kicking around the house, and most families have some extra binder paper too. And later it's going to be recommended that you cart this binder all around with you because it will become a repository for your useful information.

I do not want to cart a binder all around with me. But I do like the idea of having a binder where all my different processes and routines are written down. I'm into written routines first of all (I think having things written down can help with "compliance" which is why at work I always recommend having every process be written down), but I also have an ulterior motive. I have a dream that one day there will be a complete set of routines for taking care of the whole house, and then I will be able to ask the hubster to do the living room and I won't have to detail step by step what that means. He is awesome at following a process, he is not so awesome about seeing on his own how things flow into each other. He also really likes checklists. Since my 2 goals for this are to have a better division of housework and to have a tidy house, I think that writing down my routines is important.

Others will obviously have different goals, and so today's project might not suit their goals. But I have been around a lot of different kinds of people, and I really think there is a lot of value in sitting down and just even putting a checklist down on paper to help you see how much you do each day, especially if you're feeling down on yourself for "not ever getting anything done". I don't think it is necessary to micro-itemize each thing you do each day, so if you don't want to list out 1. Wake up. 2. Go to the Bathroom, etc, then just put the big things down. But remember not to short change yourself either!

My Morning Routine:
1. Pack lunches.
2. Start load of laundry.
3. Walk doggy.
4. Go to work.

My Evening Routine
1. Walk doggy.
2. Put laundry in the dryer.
3. Empty dishwasher.
4. Make Dinner.
5. Wipe down counters.
6. Fold clothes.
7. Prep laundry for next day.



No comments: